Columbia Community Service (CCS) is one of the oldest organizations on campus. Its yearly campaign is a means for faculty and staff to Columbia University to support soup kitchens, after-school programs, and more critical services, through direct financial contributions. With the University covering all administrative expenses, 100% of the contributions go directly to services. An employee-driven campaign, CCS, solicits donations from faculty and staff from Columbia University, Barnard College, and Teachers College to provide grants to 50 Upper Manhattan nonprofits.
During World War II, the Columbia University Committee for War Relief made critical contributions to the United States war effort, including the United War Fund and the American Red Cross. After the war, this group began to focus on helping the local community surrounding the University, which led to the formation of Columbia Community Service. Since its inception in 1946, CCS has helped countless people in the Columbia area by giving substantial grants and providing valuable resources to local community organizations.
As of April 2014, Columbia Community Service grants benefit: