Machine Learning Boot Camp: Analyzing Biomedical and Health Data
The Machine Learning Boot Camp is a two-day intensive boot camp of seminars combined with hands-on R labs and data applications to provide an overview of statistical concepts, techniques, and data analysis methods with applications in biomedical research.
This two-day intensive training will provide a broad introduction to machine learning methodology with applications in biomedical research. Taught by a team of biostatisticians, the Boot Camp will integrate seminar lectures with hands-on R lab sessions to put concepts into practice. Emphasis will be given to supervised (e.g., penalized methods, classification and decision trees, survival forests) and unsupervised methods (e.g., clustering algorithms, dimensionality reduction) with numerous case studies and biomedical applications. The workshop will conclude with an overview and demonstration of ‘deep learning’ algorithms.
By the end of the boot camp, participants will be familiar with the following topics:
- Penalized Regression Methods (Ridge and Lasso)
- Classification Models (e.g., Support Vector Machines)
- Tree Based Methods (Decision/Regression Trees)
- Clustering Algorithms
- Principal Component Analysis (PCA)
- Deep Learning – Introduction to dense and convolutional neural networks
Investigators at all career stages are welcome to attend, and we particularly encourage trainees and early-stage investigators to participate.
PREREQUISITES AND REQUIREMENTS
There are three prerequisites/requirements to attend:
- Each participant must have an introductory background in statistics (i.e., linear and logistic regression).
- Each participant must be familiar with R. The main platform used for the workshop will be RStudio Cloud, therefore we strongly recommend that participants have a basic understanding of R/RStudio prior to attending the Training.
- Each participant is required to have a free, basic RStudio Cloud account prior to the first day of the workshop, as all lab sessions will be done on this platform.
If you have any specific questions about R and R studio in the context of the Machine Learning Boot Camp, please email us.
Email us at Columbia.MachineLearning@gmail.com.
Capacity is limited. Paid registration is required to attend.
Machine Learning Boot Camp