PI Crash Course: Skills for Future or New Lab Leaders
The Principal Investigator (PI) Crash Course is a two-day intensive boot camp of seminars, discussions, and hands-on activity sessions to provide exposure to fundamental leadership and management skills and tools needed for success in your lab.
This two-day intensive crash course integrates the principle skills that future and new PIs did not develop during their post-doctoral training, but will be necessary to survive as a new Lab leader and manager. Whether you are a doctoral student, postdoc, new PI, or looking to start your own lab, as a lab leader you will immediately be confronted on daily basis by a variety of situations that you must be prepared to handle. This crash course will provide you the tools you need to start your lab on the right foot.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be familiar with the following topics:
- Negotiation skills for a new position/promotion/collaboration/publication
- Staffing skills for job posts/candidate screening/interviews/hiring
- Leadership and mentoring skills in the Lab
- People management: day-to-day/conflict resolution/misconduct/promotions/layoffs
- Time management: balancing research, teaching, service/when & how to say No
- Project management: planning/tracking progress/meeting deadlines/introduction to management software
- Network creation and maintenance: mentors/collaborators/supporters
- Real-life lab leader success stories and best tips from early-stage and experienced investigators
Andrea Baccarelli, MD, MPH, PhD, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University.
Jeanine Genkinger, PhD, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University.
Tuuli Lappalainen, PhD, New York Genome Center.
Ana Navas-Acien, MD, MPH, PhD, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University.
Diane Re, PhD, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University.
Matthew Perzanowski, PhD, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University.
Robert Wright, MD, MPH, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
Senior post-doctoral students and associate research scientists from any institution about to start their independent position search are particularly welcome to attend, and we strongly encourage new and recent PIs to participate as it is never too late to get an overview of the survival skills that you will need throughout your career.
Register for the January 9-10, 2023 PI Crash Course.
Subscribe for updates on new Crash Course details and registration deadlines.
Contact the PI Crash Course team at Columbia.SPH.PI@gmail.com.
Capacity is limited. Paid registration is required to attend.