- This event has passed.
Addressing Vicarious Trauma in the Faith Community
May 6, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
About this Event
The COVID-19 pandemic has heightened mental health challenges for New Yorkers citywide, and faith leaders are often the first people that New Yorkers turn to for solace when they experience trauma or mental health challenge.
Trauma Support for Communities is a webinar series designed for faith leaders across New York City that will provide:
- An overview of the science on how trauma affects individuals and communities, the various kinds of events and experiences that can be linked to trauma, and the kinds of mental health interventions and trauma-informed practices that can help address trauma
- Strategies for faith leaders to help address trauma in the communities they serve
- Information about trauma resources available to support communities and faith leaders
The 5-part webinar series will offer webinars focused on the following communities:
- Webinar 1: Trauma in the 67th precinct for Black & Brown faith leaders
- Webinar 2: Trauma in Brooklyn for Black & Brown faith leaders
- Webinar 3: Trauma Citywide for Black & Brown faith leaders
- Webinar 4: Trauma Citywide for Interdenominational faith leaders
- Webinar 5: Vicarious Trauma among Interdenominational faith leaders
Join us to hear from mental health practitioners and faith leaders about how trauma has manifested in their communities, and to learn about the practices that faith leaders can use to promote mental health.
About Thrive in Your Workplace
Thrive in Your Workplace (TWP) helps local employers bring mental health support to the 1 in 5 New Yorkers who experience mental illness in a given year. TWP builds a network of employers committed to fighting mental health stigma, teaching the skills needed to address mental health challenges, and promoting connections to mental healthcare. TWP is one of the 30 innovative programs from the Mayor’s Office of ThriveNYC.
The Mayor’s Office of ThriveNYC promotes mental health for all New Yorkers. ThriveNYC is an unprecedented commitment across 12 City agencies to implement over 30 innovative programs that reach hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers every year. ThriveNYC is working toward a New York City where more New Yorkers get the mental health treatment they need, and fewer mental health needs become crises.