Celebrating 60 Years of Service!
1960 – 2020
In 2020 The Interchurch Center is celebrating 60 years of service to our community.
Join us as we celebrate our past, present and future.
THE INTERCHURCH CENTER
Currently the Interchurch Center is the home of over 70 organizations which represent community development, educational initiatives and inter-cultural and religious exchange.The Interchurch Center was first envisioned as a tangible symbol of growing unity and of joint service in Christian enterprises better done together than separately. After years of persevering effort by dedicated workers, the inspired dream became a reality when on November 17, 1957 the ground breaking ceremonies for The Interchurch Center took place. Beginning with a worship service in James Memorial Chapel of Union Theological Seminary, the congregation moved in procession to the Center site where, under an architectural rendering of what the new building would one day be, the first soil was turned. On May 29, 1960, the completed edifice was dedicated in moving ceremony that marked the official opening of a new chapter in the movement for a greater unity among churches in the United States.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the Center were held November 17, 1957. The cornerstone was laid by Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the United States of America, on October 12, 1958. The formal dedication of the building took place on May 29, 1960.
(Click on a highlighted event to view the photo gallery)
– Moved and merged the TIC office with Property Management and Telecommunications which were located in the sub-basement and garage