Located next to the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, the Peace Fountain was built in 1985 by Greg Wyatt to depict the struggle of good and evil, shown by the archangel Michael vanquishing Satan.
The Peace Fountain was sculpted by Cathedral Artist-in-Residence Greg Wyatt to mark the 200th anniversary of the Diocese of New York in 1985. The 40 foot-high bronze sculpture weaves together several representations of the conflict between good and evil. Above, the Archangel Michael embraces one of nine giraffes (said to be the most peaceful of creatures) after his defeat of Satan. Below, the lion lies down with the lamb. The fountain’s spiraling base takes inspiration from the double-helix of DNA. On either side of the fountain, moon- and sun-like faces direct their gazes toward and away from Amsterdam Avenue.
Around the fountain’s basin are a series of small bronze animal sculptures created by K-12 students from New York City and tri-state area public, private, and parochial schools. Collectively known as the Children’s Sculpture Garden, they represent the diverse community the Cathedral strives to serve and represent.
Greg Wyatt is a sculptor and teacher who works primarily in bronze, emulating the tradition of Western realist sculpture and infusing it with his own spiritual and physical energy. His work has been exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and appears in public spaces and on academic campuses throughout the 50 states. In the immediate neighborhood, his Scholar’s Lion can be found on the Columbia University campus at 116th Street.
The Peace Statue at Cathedral of St. John the Divine
1047 Amsterdam Avenue at 112th Street
New York, NY 10025
Hours: The Cathedral’s gardens and grounds are open during daylight hours.