The New York Public Library is a great resource to New Yorkers, with virtual events, book recommendations, and free online services. To heighten awareness of their fantastic offerings, Columbia Neighbors is partnering with the George Bruce Library on 125th Street to provide regular updates from the library staff.
Going in to the new year, there are new programs to check out and updates on library policies.
See previous updates from George Bruce Library:
Available Library Services
- NYPL is extending the suspension of overdue fines for any physical material currently checked out. Fines will not accrue until at least June 30, 2021. Additionally, patrons with library cards set to expire will not have to renew their card until at least June 30, 2021.
- New checkout procedures: The Library is now offering three safe socially distant ways for patrons to check out their holds and other materials. All patrons must check out items before leaving the branches, using either a staff-assisted process or express self-checkout stations, or the new NYPL app. Make sure to bring your library card when you visit the library.
- Shelf Help: Tell NYPL librarians about your reading interests and they’ll choose five books for you.
- Brainfuse provides free live online homework help for kids.
- Online Book Discussion: Open Book Hour: The George Bruce Library is going to host an Open Book Hour discussion on Wednesday, January 13th at 12:30 pm. This is a casual discussion session that will focus on what you are currently reading.
- Online Portrait Drawing Class: Every Wednesday at 6:00 pm through February 3, explore your artistic potential with a series of online workshops based on classical atelier drawing technique.
- Teen Open Book Discussion: Bring whatever you’re currently reading to the open book discussion on Tuesday, January 26 at 4 pm.
- Children’s Online Open Book Discussion: Join George Bruce staff on Wednesday, January 13 at 4 pm for a discussion of winter-themed books geared toward parents/caregivers and their children. When registering for this book discussion program, parents/caregivers should use their information.
- Help with Library Resources for Teens: Need help using NYPL databases for your homework? Make an appointment for 30 minutes to speak with a YA librarian on Google Meet. Pre-registration is required. You will need a valid library card and PIN. Registration is open to teens 13-18 years old. Register for a time on Tuesday, January 12 or 19 at 4 pm, or Tuesday, January 26 at 3 pm.