The Riverside Church

The Riverside Church has an interdenominational and international congregation and is committed to welcoming all persons. This commitment extends to the church’s global involvement in social and economic justice to ensure equity for God’s people locally, nationally and internationally.

The Riverside Church commits itself to welcoming all persons, celebrating the diversity found in a Congregation broadly inclusive of persons from different backgrounds of characteristics, including race, economic class, religion, culture, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, family status and physical and mental abilities. Members are called to an individual and collective quality of life that leads to personal, spiritual and social transformation, witnessing to God’s saving purposes for all creation. Therefore, the Church pledges itself to education, reflection, and action for peace and justice and the realization of the vision of the heavenly banquet where all are loved and blessed.

The Three “I”s…
We are an interdenominational, interracial, & international congregation.

Membership
The Riverside Church has 1,650 members and affiliates. Its members come from more than 40 different denominational, national, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds.

Building
The church is modeled after the 13th Century gothic cathedral in Chartres, France. Construction began in 1927 with the first service held on October 5, 1930. The Nave seats over 2,100 worshipers. The 20-floor tower contains meeting rooms and the 74-bell Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial Carillon. The Carillon’s 20-ton Bourdon bell is the largest turned bell in the world. The smallest bell in our Carillon weighs 10 pounds.

490 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10027
Phone Number: 212-870-6700

Website: theriversidechurchny.org

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail
,

Barnard College

Since its founding in 1889, Barnard has been a distinguished leader in higher education, offering a rigorous liberal arts foundation to young women whose curiosity, drive, and exuberance set them apart. Ours is a diverse intellectual community in a unique learning environment that provides the best of all worlds: small, intimate classes in a collaborative liberal arts setting dedicated to the advancement of women with the vast resources of Columbia University just steps away—in the heart of vibrant and electric New York City.

On our leafy four-acre campus on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, our world-class faculty of teacher-scholars educates nearly 2,400 inspired and intrepid undergraduate women—women who, as a matter of course, have gone on to achieve great things. Throughout our history, Barnard graduates have made their mark as leaders in the arts, business, government, and science, and as activists for causes too numerous to name.

Over one hundred and twenty years ago, Barnard was the first college in New York City—and one of the few in the world—where women could receive the same liberal arts education available to men. Today, we are the most sought-after liberal arts college for women in the United States. With our cosmopolitan setting and the strength of our academic programs, the broadening of our global perspective, and our ongoing commitment to diversity, we continue to do what we have done from the beginning with a keen eye to the future.

Barnard women change the world and the way we think about it.

3009 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
Phone: 212-854-5262
Website: Barnard.edu

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Union Theological Seminary

Union Theological Seminary has always embodied the freedom to learn and the freedom to teach—ideals that may be more critical than ever to churches and society at this moment in history. Founded in 1836, Union forged a new vision for theological education: to center ministerial training in an urban context so that academic excellence and personal faith might respond to the needs of the city.

Today, a new Union in a world city remains faithful to that vision. With roots that are firmly planted in the Protestant, Reformed tradition, the Seminary continues to reform itself in response to the changing needs of the world and an evolving understanding of what it means to be faithful.

Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York is a seminary and a graduate school of theology established in 1836 by founders “deeply impressed by the claims of the world upon the church.” Union prepares women and men for committed lives of service to the church, academy, and society. A Union education develops practices of mind and body that foster intellectual and academic excellence, social justice, and compassionate wisdom. Grounded in the Christian tradition and responsive to the needs of God’s creation, Union’s graduates make a difference wherever they serve.

3041 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
Phone: 212-280-1404
Website: www.utsnyc.edu

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Ulysses S. Grant Houses

The General Grant Houses, a part of the New York City Housing Authority, consists of nine buildings, 13 and 21 stories tall with 1,940 apartments. These buildings provide affordable housing to over 1400 families. Spanning over 15 acres, this site is cornered by West 123rd and near 125th Street, Morningside Avenue, and Broadway. Grant Houses were built in the same time period as the Morningside Gardens and completed in 1957.

1320 Amsterdam Avenue
New York,NY 10027
Telephone: 212-666-4301

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Teachers College

Founded in 1887, the Gothic and Tudor-styled brick and sandstone buildings of Teachers College, Columbia University, occupy the block just north of Columbia’s main campus. Teachers College, Columbia University, is the oldest and largest graduate school of education in the United States, and also perennially ranked among the nation’s best. Its name notwithstanding, the College is committed to a vision of education writ large, encompassing our four core areas of expertise: health, education, leadership and psychology.

Teachers College sees its leadership role in two complementary arenas: One is as a major player in policy-making to ensure that schools are reformed and restructured to welcome all students regardless of their socio-economic circumstances. The other is in preparing educators who not only serve students directly but coordinate the educational, psychological, behavioral, technological, and health initiatives to remove barriers to learning at all ages. Teachers College was among the first recipients of funding under the state’s Community Schools Grant Initiative for its work with the Heritage School and P.S. 36 in Harlem. For more than 100 years Teachers College has continued to:

  • Engage in research on the central issues facing education
  • Prepare the next generation of education leaders
  • Educate the current generation of leaders in practice and policy to meet the challenges they face
  • Shape the public debate and public policy in education
  • Improve practice in educational institutions

525 West 120th Street
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212-678-3000
Website: www.tc.columbia.edu

 

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Mt. Sinai St. Luke’s Hospital

Mt. Sinai St. Luke’s Hospital, is a 1,076-bed, full-service community and tertiary care hospital. St. Luke’s-Roosevelt was formed in 1979 by a merger of St. Luke’s Hospital, adjacent to the campus of Columbia University, and The Roosevelt Hospital, located two blocks west of Columbus Circle. The St. Luke’s and Roosevelt Hospitals, established in 1846 and 1871, respectively, brought to their merger extraordinary records of medical “firsts” and commitment to their patients.

St. Luke’s-Roosevelt also is widely respected for high quality clinical care and for its contributions to research. Throughout its history St. Luke’s-Roosevelt also has placed strong emphasis on responding with compassion and sensitivity to the unique needs of the communities it serves, including areas whose residents have multiple social and economic challenges. The Hospital Center’s ability to serve these populations is enhanced through relationships with groups including the William F. Ryan Community Health Center and the Council Health Center, as well as through school-based clinics at area high schools. St. Luke’s-Roosevelt initiates and supports a wide range of community health-focused activities and maintains an extensive network of relationships with churches and community groups throughout the West Side and Upper Manhattan.

1111 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10025
Telephone: (212) 523-4000
Website: stlukeshospitalnyc.org

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s

St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s is an independent, Episcopal day school. The school is coeducational and includes toddlers through grade 8. As an Episcopal school, we are committed to nurturing the whole person: body, mind, and spirit. Religious and ethical formation are therefore important components. Our philosophy of education is rooted in the values of the Judeo-Christian humanist tradition. We strive to create an educational community which reflects unity in diversity: a unity of purpose and shared values among a population diverse in race, culture, and religious beliefs. The rich variety of gifts within the school community, provided by the different backgrounds of students, faculty, staff, and parents, prepares students to understand and contribute to a diverse, changing world.

St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s opened its doors in 1950, realizing the dream of the Reverend Mother Ruth, founder of the community of the Holy Spirit, an Episcopal order for women. Mother Ruth had a vision of serving God and children here in Morningside Heights.

St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s is housed in a modern building built specifically for the well-being and needs of students. Here, within the context of a well-planned, well-ordered environment and with roots in the English tradition, St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s provides 365 students with their first building blocks for the education of mind, body, and spirit.

619 West 114th Street
New York, NY   10025-7995
Telephone: 212-932-1980
Website: sthildas.org/

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Manhattan School of Music

Manhattan School of Music is a preeminent international conservatory of music granting bachelor of music, master of music, and doctor of musical arts degrees. Founded in 1918, the School is dedicated to the personal, artistic, and intellectual development of each of its students, training them in performance and composition.   In addition to the more than 800 students in the College Division, who come from some 40 countries, the School serves 500 New York-area students, ages 3-18, in the Preparatory Division, and another 2,000 New York City schoolchildren through its arts-in-education program. Under the leadership of Marta Istomin, president since 1992, the School employs a superb artist-teacher faculty of 250 professional musicians, and is also an active presenter of more than 400 public performances. Manhattan School of Music’s more than 10,000 alumni are active in every aspect of American musical life, and many are among the most distinguished artists performing in opera houses and concert halls and on jazz stages throughout the world today.

120 Claremont Avenue
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212-749-2802
Website: www.msmnyc.edu

 

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Jewish Theological Seminary

Founded in 1886 by the distinguished rabbis Dr. Sabato Morais and Dr. H. Pereira Mendes, JTS is the academic and spiritual center of Conservative Judaism worldwide, encompassing a world-class library and five schools. Its mission is to preserve the knowledge and practice of historical Judaism while sharing a vision of Judaism that is learned and passionate, pluralist and authentic, traditional and egalitarian.

3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212- 678-8000
Website: www.jtsa.edu

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

International House

Founded and built in 1924 by John D. Rockefeller Jr. and the Cleveland H. Dodge family, International House affords a unique experience in cross-cultural cooperation and understanding by nurturing leadership, moral courage, and empathy. Each year, more than 700 carefully selected graduate students and interns, from 100 countries, share a residential community and participate in leadership training and diverse intellectural and cultural programs. They study or train at more than 70 academic and professional institutions in New York in fields as varied as financial engineering, musical performance, historic preservation and public health. I-House residents learn essential skills to become future leaders in business, government, the arts and other professions. Information is available in the lobby at 500 Riverside Drive on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm.

500 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212-316-8400
Website: www.ihouse-nyc.org

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Interchurch Center

The Interchurch Center, a visible symbol of the oneness of many churches in Christ and reflective of the inspiring growth of ecumenism and inter-religious activity in the United States in the past century.

The Interchurch Center was first envisioned as a tangible symbol of growing unity and of joint service in Christian enterprises better done together than separately. After years of persevering effort by dedicated workers, the inspired dream became a reality when on November 17, 1957 the ground breaking ceremonies for The Interchurch Center took place. Beginning with a worship service in James Memorial Chapel of Union Theological Seminary, the congregation moved in procession to the Center site where, under an architectural rendering of what the new building would one day be, the first soil was turned.On May 29, 1960, the completed edifice was dedicated in moving ceremony that marked the official opening of a new chapter in the movement for a greater unity among churches in the United States.

Currently the Interchurch Center is the home of over 70 organizations which represent community development, educational initiatives and inter-cultural and religious exchange.

The Interchurch Center is owned and managed under the auspices of several Christian organizations as a Class A office facility, with the mission to provide a working environment that is conducive to ecumenism and interreligious involvement. To further this mission, The Interchurch Center:

  • Maintains a high quality, state-of-the-art building with superior accessibility and a range of convenient tenant-related services.
  • Draws on traditions of hospitality within our Christian heritage, which intentionally promote a sense of community and respect for diverse religious views.
  • Establishes programs and services that support tenant agencies and offer opportunities for networking and exchange among all tenants.
  • Seeks to be a positive presence in the surrounding neighborhood.

475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212-870-2200
Website: www.interchurch-center.org

 

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Corpus Christi

In this special neighborhood you’ll find major educational institutions, students from all over the world, and ordinary folks living in brownstones and public housing. Corpus Christi tries to be one place where we can all come together, both for ourselves and for the wider community. Corpus Christi is known for the quality of its liturgy. This parish played an important part in the Liturgical Renewal movement before the Second Vatican Council and now continues the best of the Catholic liturgical tradition. Fine liturgical music has been a long tradition at Corpus Christi. The music program includes Gregorian chant, Renaissance polyphony, baroque and early classical choral music, and contemporary works (some commissioned especially for us). Our choir is made up of dedicated professional singers–we’ve even made three CDs of them. There’s also the concert series Music Before 1800 here. The church building is in a sparse Colonial style, unusual for a Catholic church. The painted crucifix beside the pulpit dates from Florence, Italy, in the 1400s, and the painting of the Madonna and Child with saints in the Blessed Sacrament chapel also reflects that time.

529 West 121 Street
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212-666-9350
Website: corpus-christi-nyc.org/

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Columbia University

Columbia University was founded in 1754 as King’s College by royal charter of King George II of England. It is the oldest institution of higher learning in the state of New York and the fifth oldest in the United States. After residing at two locations for nearly a century and a half, the University moved to Morningside Heights in 1897.

Columbia is one of the top academic and research institutions in the world, encompassing 17 schools with more than 25,000 students and 2,000 international faculty. Eighty Columbians—alumni, faculty, researchers, and administrators—have won Nobel Prizes. Eight current faculty members are Nobel laureates in medicine, economics, physics, and literature., and conducting pathbreaking research in medicine, science, the arts, and the humanities. Columbia University is the seventh largest nongovernmental employer in the City of New York, generating a local payroll of some $1.9 billion.

Its mission: Columbia University is one of the world’s most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.

Visitors Center
213 Low Library
2960 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212-854-4900
Website: columbia.edu

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Cathedral of St. John the Divine

Over 600 feet in length, St. John the Divine is the largest Gothic cathedral and the fourth-largest Christian church in the world. Built over a century ago, it is the seat of the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of New York, chartered as “a house of worship for all peoples.” The Cathedral and its surrounding gardens and buildings form an 11-acre complex collectively referred to as The Close, which is open to the public year-round during daylight hours.

1047 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212-523-4000
Website:www.stjohndivine.org

 

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail