The Interchurch Center, a visible symbol of the oneness of many churches in Christ and reflective of the inspiring growth of ecumenism and inter-religious activity in the United States in the past century.
The Interchurch Center was first envisioned as a tangible symbol of growing unity and of joint service in Christian enterprises better done together than separately. After years of persevering effort by dedicated workers, the inspired dream became a reality when on November 17, 1957 the ground breaking ceremonies for The Interchurch Center took place. Beginning with a worship service in James Memorial Chapel of Union Theological Seminary, the congregation moved in procession to the Center site where, under an architectural rendering of what the new building would one day be, the first soil was turned.On May 29, 1960, the completed edifice was dedicated in moving ceremony that marked the official opening of a new chapter in the movement for a greater unity among churches in the United States.
Currently the Interchurch Center is the home of over 70 organizations which represent community development, educational initiatives and inter-cultural and religious exchange.
The Interchurch Center is owned and managed under the auspices of several Christian organizations as a Class A office facility, with the mission to provide a working environment that is conducive to ecumenism and interreligious involvement. To further this mission, The Interchurch Center:
- Maintains a high quality, state-of-the-art building with superior accessibility and a range of convenient tenant-related services.
- Draws on traditions of hospitality within our Christian heritage, which intentionally promote a sense of community and respect for diverse religious views.
- Establishes programs and services that support tenant agencies and offer opportunities for networking and exchange among all tenants.
- Seeks to be a positive presence in the surrounding neighborhood.
475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10027